Bullet numbers link to articles at publisher websites. Contact us for copies of full articles if you cannot obtain them online. Publications are also available at academia.edu, Google Scholar, and ResearcherID (although I update these profiles at external sites less frequently).
Peer-reviewed articles in indexed, refereed journals
22) Lewis DB, Castellano MJ, and Kaye JP. 2014. Forest succession, soil carbon accumulation, and rapid nitrogen storage in poorly-remineralized soil organic matter. Ecology In press DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/13-2196.1
(Archived appendices not available with in-press pre-print; contact me for them)
21) Lewis DB, Kaye JP, and Kinzig AP. 2014. Legacies of agriculture and urbanization in labile and stable organic carbon and nitrogen in Sonoran Desert soils. Ecosphere 5:article 59.
20) Anne NJP, Abd-Elrahman AH, Lewis DB, and Hewitt NA. 2014. Modeling soil parameters using hyperspectral image reflectance in subtropical coastal wetlands. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 33:47-56.
19) Schipanski ME, Smith RG, Pisani Gareau TL, Jabbour R, Lewis DB, Barbercheck ME, Mortensen DA, and Kaye JP. 2014. Multivariate relationships influencing crop yields during the transition to organic management. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 189:119-126.
18) Lewis DB, Brown JA, and Jimenez KL. 2014. Effects of flooding and warming on soil organic matter mineralization in Avicennia germinans mangrove forests and Juncus roemerianus salt marshes. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 139:11-19.
17) Castellano MJ, Lewis DB, and Kaye JP. 2013. Response of soil nitrogen retention to the interactive effects of soil texture, hydrology, and organic matter. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 118:280-290 (DOI: 10.1002/jgrg.20015).
16) Nilsson KA, Rains MC, Lewis DB, and Trout KE. 2013. Hydrological characterization of 56 geographically isolated wetlands in west-central Florida using a probabilistic method. Wetlands Ecology and Management 21:1-14 (DOI: 10.1007/s11273-012-9275-1).
15) Lewis DB and Kaye JP. 2012. Inorganic nitrogen immobilization in live and sterile soil of old-growth conifer and hardwood forests: implications for ecosystem nitrogen retention. Biogeochemistry 111:169-186 (DOI: 10.1007/s10533-011-9627-6).
14) Lewis DB, Kaye JP, Jabbour R, and Barbercheck ME. 2011. Labile carbon and other soil quality indicators in two tillage systems during transition to organic agriculture. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 26:342-353.
13) Lewis DB and Grimm NB. 2007. Hierarchical regulation of nitrogen export from urban catchments: interactions of storms and landscapes. Ecological Applications 17:2347-2364.
12) Lewis DB, Grimm NB, Harms TK, and Schade JD. 2007. Subsystems, flowpaths, and the spatial variability of nitrogen in a fluvial ecosystem. Landscape Ecology 22:911-924.
11) Lewis DB, Kaye JP, Gries C, Kinzig AP, and Redman CL. 2006. Agrarian legacy in soil nutrient pools of urbanizing arid lands. Global Change Biology 12:703-709.
10) Lewis DB, Schade JD, Huth AK, and Grimm NB. 2006. The spatial structure of variability in a semi-arid, fluvial ecosystem. Ecosystems 9:386-397.
9) Schade JD and Lewis DB. 2006. Plasticity in resource allocation and nitrogen use efficiency in riparian vegetation: implications for nitrogen retention. Ecosystems 9:740-755.
8) Hrabik TR, Greenfield BK, Lewis DB, Pollard AI, Wilson KA, and Kratz TK. 2005. Landscape-scale variation in taxonomic diversity in four groups of aquatic organisms: the influence of physical, chemical, and biological properties. Ecosystems 8:301-317.
7) Shochat E, Lerman SB, Katti M, and Lewis DB. 2004. Linking optimal foraging behavior to bird community structure in an urban-desert landscape: field experiments with artificial food patches. The American Naturalist 164:232-243.
6) Greenfield BK, Lewis DB, and Hinke JT. 2002. Shell damage in salt marsh periwinkles (Littoraria irrorata [Say, 1822]) and resistance to future attacks by blue crabs (Callinectes sapidus [Rathbun, 1896]). American Malacological Bulletin 17:141-146.
5) Lewis DB and Eby LA. 2002. Spatially heterogeneous refugia and predation risk in intertidal salt marshes. Oikos 96:119-129.
4) Lewis DB. 2001. Trade-offs between growth and survival: responses of freshwater snails to predacious crayfish. Ecology 82:758-765.
3) Lewis DB and Magnuson JJ. 2000. Landscape spatial patterns in freshwater snail assemblages across Northern Highland catchments. Freshwater Biology 43:409-420.
2) Reed-Andersen T, Bennett EM, Jorgensen BS, Lauster G, Lewis DB, Nowacek D, Riera JL, Sanderson BL, Stedman R. 2000. Distribution of recreational boating across lakes: do landscape variables affect recreational use? Freshwater Biology 43:439-448.
1) Lewis DB and Magnuson JJ. 1999. Intraspecific gastropod shell strength variation among north temperate lakes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1687-1695.
Book chapters (underwent anonymous peer review)
5) Castellano MJ, Lewis DB, Andrews DM, McDaniel MD. 2012. Coupling biogeochemistry and hydropedology to advance carbon and nitrogen cycling science. In: Lin H (editor) “Hydropedology: Synergistic Integration of Soil Science and Hydrology,” Academic Press, Elsevier B.V. (pages 711–735).
4) Lewis DB, Harms TK, Schade JD, and Grimm NB. 2009. Biogeochemical function and heterogeneity in arid-region riparian zones. In: Stromberg JC and Tellman B (editors) “Ecology and Conservation of the San Pedro River,” University of Arizona Press, Tucson (Chap. 18, pages 323-341).
3) Armstrong DE, Lauster GH, Sanderson BL, Lewis DB, and Frost TM. 2006. Jumping in: within-lake processes and dynamics. In: JJ Magnuson et al. (editors) “Long Term Dynamics of Lakes in the Landscape,” Oxford University Press, New York (pages 187-213).
2) Kratz TK, Webster KE, Riera JL, Lewis DB, and Pollard AI. 2006. Making sense of the landscape: geomorphic legacies and the landscape position of lakes. In: JJ Magnuson et al. (editors) “Long-term Dynamics of Lakes in the Landscape,” Oxford University Press, New York (pages 49-66).
1) Grimm NB, Arrowsmith JR, Eisinger C, Heffernan J, MacLeod A, Lewis DB, Prashad L, Rychener T, Roach WJ, and Sheibley RW. 2004. Effects of urbanization on nutrient biogeochemistry of aridland streams. In: R DeFries, G Asner, and R Houghton (editors) “Ecosystem Interactions with Land Use Change,” Geophysical Monograph Series, Vol. 153. American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C. (pages 129-146).
Technical reports and proceedings
2) Lewis DB. 2002. Stoichiometry and load of nutrients and metals discharged from urban catchments by storms. Pp. 49-55 in “Discharged urban waters: Ressource [sic] or Risk? Proceedings Volume 1.” Proceedings of the First World Wide Workshop for Junior Environmental Scientists. Domaine de Chérioux, Vitry sur Seine, France, 21-24 May 2002.
1) Scheele CEH, Lathrop RC, Marshall DW, Decker EL, Lewis DB, and Snyder SD. 1999. A survey of swimmer’s itch-causing cercariae and their intermediate snail host species in Devil’s Lake Wisconsin. Prepared for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and the Friends of Devil’s Lake State Park.